Wednesday 24 September 2014


“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
             Arthur C. Clarke

The rapid and constant change in technology is creating both opportunities and challenges in everyone’s life. In this entry, I would like to share my experience of the most memorable time using technology as a learner and one of the challenges I faced while using  technology as a teacher.
Last semester, I took the Professional Development Course which was offered by the Educational Faculty in UPM. As per the course requirement, I had to conduct a research on The Usage of Language Learning Strategies (LLS) in Malaysian Private Secondary Schools. It was my first time conducting a major research. Therefore, I had to tabulate the data by using the SPSS software which was an alien concept to me at that time. I had a hard time familiarizing myself with the  software. Many of my course mates also didn't know how to use this particular software which resulted in me not being able to ask any of them for assistance. In desperation, I sought the assistance of one of my senior and effectively learnt about the software. It really meant a lot to me as I successfully produced an academic paper. It has been published in one of the Australian Website. As an educator myself, it gave me great pleasure to be able to acquaint myself with the latest technology. I am really glad to have learnt something new to upgrade myself.



In most cases, technology is a true blessing to the modern-day classroom, making access to information faster and the information obtained is easier to understand compared to those days. But, just like all new innovations, it is not without its drawbacks.  Here, I would like to share my dreadful experience when I tried incorporating technology into my classroom teaching.  I’m teaching General Science to Form 4 students in a private school in KL.  Normally, I use the traditional teaching method to teach my students. One day, just for a change, I decided to use the LCD projector and the CD provided by the school to teach the subject in the laboratory. The lesson started without a glitch. However, as I progressed further into the lesson,  I noticed that the backbenchers were falling asleep and only those students sitting in the front row were paying any attention to the lesson. Despite incorporating technology into my lesson, I had failed to draw my students’ attention for that particular day. I felt disappointed and analyzed my mistake. I realized that my timing for the lesson was wrong. I had assumed that the students would give me their undivided attention just because I was teaching using technology.Unfortunately, my lesson was immediately after their lunch break and even the promise of technology could not keep my students from dozing off in class. Apart from that, my students had also had their basketball tournament that day and they were running on reserve energy after using up almost all their energy for the tournament that day. A heavy meal combined with a very tiring day led to my students being heavy-eyed and not even technology could keep them from falling asleep. That day I realized that it is important to recognize that computers are not a substitute for effective teaching.










2 comments:

  1. Thanks for an interesting blog entry, Bathuma. I am really glad that you managed to learn to use the SPSS for your research. To tell you the truth, I also have difficulties in using the SPSS especially in making meaning/interpreting the data. In fact, I think a lot of researchers are having this problem. I am glad that you managed to learn it from your friend, and managed to publish your paper in an international journal.
    In regards to your second story--it is true that even though technology can be so much help in getting students' attention, it must be used with care and under appropriate contexts. Given the situation that you were dealing with, I am sure that technology should not be blamed for the students dozing off, as there are other contexts that came into play. However, the lesson that you learned is still a valuable one--The technology used is only as good as the teacher using it. And that the computer (or any other technology) is not a substitute for the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your wonderful comments Doctor.

      Delete